Theater, Band, and Basketball

November 16th, 2014 akolso17

Hello Everyone!

He makes one handsome woman, right?

He makes one handsome woman, right?

The Holy Cross theater department recently performed Caryl Churchill’s “Cloud 9,” a play about gender, sexuality, and colonialism. In this challenging and candid work, the characters struggle with their sexuality and gender identities. The first act takes place in 1879 South Africa and the second occurs in London 1979. However, for the characters only 25 years have passed. I saw it on opening night and loved it. The characters were endearing and the frequent comedic moments produced a lot of laughs. One of my friends plays a woman in the first act, and it was hilarious to see him in a bra, corset, and bustle. I must say he was a very handsome woman. (See picture to the right!) In December the Alternate Theater Department (ACT) will be performing “God of Carnage.” If you’re in the area you should see it, I know that I’m going to!

Wednesday was the the first Pep Band practice of the season. It was great to play the clarinet again, but I definitely need some practice after nearly 7 months! Our first game was tonight at the TD Garden. Holy Cross beat Harvard 58 to 57. It was  a close game and a lot of fun to watch. However, I don’t know if I’ll have a voice in the morning from cheering so loud!

Go 'SADERS!

Go ‘SADERS!

Well, I should get back to reading “Politics of the Womb: Women, Reproduction, and the State in Kenya” by Lynn M. Thomas. Or maybe I’ll do my translation homework? Or my anthropology reading? Agh. Let’s just say I’ll have a late night tonight!

Also, to my fellow sophomores, good luck with enrollment! May enrollment be ever in your favor!

Have a wonderful week!

Ali

Ali Olson '17