Non-Profit Career Conference

January 18th, 2015 akolso17

Hello Everyone!

Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile! It’s been a crazy break. After surviving finals (woo-hoo!) I went home to South Dakota to celebrate Christmas with my family and puppy. On December 28th I joined my boyfriend, Thomas, and his family in Sun Peaks, Canada. We went skiing, dog sledding, played Halo, watched movies, and went to a sports bar to (silently) cheer for the LA Kings as they played the Vancouver Canucks. (Don’t cheer against the Canucks while in British Colombia!) After a week in Canada we drove down to Thomas’ home in Washington. We were able to go into Seattle and see the EMP museum, the Chihuly Garden and Glass museum, and (of course) the space needle.

Dog Sledding (Rossland and Sparky were the lead dogs)

I came back to campus a week early for Holy Cross’ annual Non-Profit Careers Conference (NPCC). Throughout the week we had guest speakers from local non-profits, Holy Cross professors, and Holy Cross alum. One of the greatest resources for a member of the ‘Sader Nation is the alumni network. I was able to speak with 15 grads who are currently working in the non-profit sector, from the class of ’75 all the way to the class of ’14. It was a good reminder to appreciate my time here at Holy Cross (only 2 1/2 years left!?!) and a reminder of WHY I’m going to college – for a career. The conference also covered opportunities offered through the Holy Cross Career Planning Center (help with resumes, mock interviews, editing cover letters, etc.) a workshop on how to use LinkedIn, a workshop on public speaking, and others. The conference gave me a lot to think about as I enter a new semester and I’m extremely thankful for the opportunity.

Well, that’s all for now. I’ll post on Sunday about my new classes. Have a wonderful week!

-Ali

Ali Olson '17