HC Cares!

April 6th, 2014 akolso17

Hello Everyone!

Spring hasn’t quite arrived at the Hill, but it’s near! Flowers have been planted, the rose bushes are greening, the ivy will soon return, and there’s a competitive game of stickball going on outside my window right now. (Fortunately, my window hasn’t been struck yet!) I can’t wait to do my homework on the Hogan Hoval again. Dinand and the Science Atrium are great places to study, but I could use a change of scenery.

Another sign of Spring is Holy Cross’ annual “HC Cares Day.” 270 Holy Cross students (and even more staff and alumni!) volunteered at 10 different sites in the greater Worcester area last Saturday. I was assigned to the Canal district of Worcester to pick up trash and sweep the sidewalks, the area looks much better now. Jess and I tried playing the ABC game with the trash we picked up. We found algebra homework, bottles, coffee cups, donuts, and many other “goodies.”

After picking up trash we visited the Worcester Farmer’s Market. I was quite impressed, and plan to return with friends in the near future. There were fresh baked goods, cheap vegetables, and lots of bohemian-style knick-knacks that I absolutely love. Unfortunately my roommate for next year forbade me from buying a life-size cut-out of David Ortiz for our room next year. Darn!

Yesterday most of my friends went on a Montserrat trip to New York City. They visited the MET, Times Square, Central Park, and went shopping. I’m glad they had a great time, but I’m quite jealous they got to visit NYC while I caught up on homework. Hopefully my friends and I will be able to make it up to NYC in the fall. We are trying to decide between Canada, Washington D.C., and NYC for a fall break trip.

Well, I should get back to work. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Ali

Below: Getting ready for Holy Cross Cares Day

(Left to Right: Jess, Sloane, Me, and Emily)

HC Cares

Ali Olson '17