El Rey León, Cochinillo y Basquétbol

March 16th, 2016 akolso17

Hello Everyone!

On Thursday I saw “El Rey León” (“The Lion King”) musical in Madrid. The Lion King is a fantastic show and a lot of fun to see. I’ve seen the Disney movie at least a hundred times and know nearly every line by heart so it was interesting to see the Spanish translation. The show also catered to Spanish culture. For instance, in the American version Timon distracts the hyenas by dancing a hula dance. But on the Spanish stage Timon dresses in a flamenco dress and dances a Sevillana.

Scar and Mufasa Face Off

Scar and Mufasa Face Off

On Friday I went to Segovia, which is famous for a dish called “cochinillo.” While other areas of Castile and Leon have have similar dishes, true “cochinillo segoviano” can only be found in this city. The mother of the piglet is fed a special diet and the piglet must be less than 3 weeks old when served. It’s slowly cooked over a specific type of firewood and then deep fried. Cochinillo is served on a cart and the head must be cut off with the edge of a plate, and then everyone is served. The meat is extremely moist and tender while the skin is crisp and crunchy. It was easily one of the best meals I’ve ever had.

Thomas and our awesome waiter just before cutting off the head of the cochinillo

While I may not be at Holy Cross right now my spirit always will be. I just want to take a moment and congratulate our men’s basketball team for winning the Patriot League Championship. I really wish I could see tonight’s game in Ohio but I suppose I’ll have to stream it on my computer and cheer from this side of the globe. Go ‘Saders!

Have a great week everyone!

Ali

Ali Olson '17