Europe Adventures!

February 16th, 2016 akolso17

Hello Everyone,

Done with a stressful round of finals, Andrew, Daniel and I decided to go on a min Euro-adventure.

The three Holys in the Madrid Airport

The three Holys in the Madrid Airport

Our first stop was Luxembourg. Unfortunately it poured the entire time we were there, but we still got to see some beautiful buildings and, more importantly, we ate some delicious food.

I have no idea how to pronounce or spell this Luxembourg dish, but it was delicious!

We took a relaxing train ride through northern Luxembourg (including the town where my great-grandparents are from!) and got to our next stop in Brussels, Belgium. We had a wonderful Airbnb apartment located just 50 feet away from the Grand Place. Brussels is an ideal city to wander around, enjoy the feel of the city, and eat a waffle…or two!

Brussels has delicious waffles, chocolate, and pastries

After Brussels we spent a few days in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Amsterdam is a gorgeous city with picturesque canals. Our first night in the city we went to an ice bar. Everything in the bar (including the mugs!) was made of ice. It was a very chilly 19 degrees, but we had a great time. But the best part of Amsterdam was visiting the Anne Frank house. I grew up hearing of Anne Frank, I’ve seen the play, the movie, learned about her in school, and read her diary. Seeing the streets where she once played and the tiny annex she hid in was an absolutely indescribable experience.

Amsterdam has a lot of canals, but even more bikes!

The next stop was Copenhagen, Denmark. We did the touristy things like walk around the city, climb the Round Tower, and visit the Amalienborg Palace (where I quoted Hamlet several times – hey I may not have been in Elsinore, but I was in Denmark so it’s close enough). But the best part of Copenhagen was the food. (Actually the food is the best part of traveling anywhere haha!) We found a great little pastry shop, an amazing coffee house, and a restaurant that served a full Sunday brunch. Spaniards usually eat a pretty light breakfast and then a heavy lunch, so to have a full American-style Sunday brunch was quite a treat.

The Round Tower of Copenhagen

The Round Tower of Copenhagen

The last stop of our trip was the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech Republic. Here we scaled the old Town Hall and Astronomical Clock for some amazing views. I learned a lot about Czech history, especially from the World War II era. Then, when crossing a bridge to walk to the Lennon Wall we stumbled upon a movie set! We were a little confused when we saw a large group of people dressed in 1930s-era clothes with oxen and goats tied to ropes. But then a director came up to us and asked us to get off the bridge because they needed the shot right at sunset.

Prague Views

Prague Views

All this traveling was fun, but for now I think I’ll stay in León.
Have a great week!
Ali

Ali Olson '17