2nd Year Courses (the reason I’m in Dinand until 2 am…)

September 14th, 2014 akolso17

Hello everyone!

This semester I am taking “Aspects of Spanish Culture” which covers the history of Spain, modern Spanish culture (food, music, movies, futbol), and current events. Seriously, a college course where I get to eat chorizo and watch newly released Spanish movies like 8 apellidos vascos? I can’t complain. I appreciate it all the more as I plant to apply to study abroad in León, Spain next year.

My second Spanish course (sí, dos clases de español porque me encanta mi carerra) is “Spanish Grammar through Translation.” It sounds intimidating (and it is) but it’s an enjoyable challenge because we get to translate Calvin and Hobbes. (Reason #483 to be a Spanish major)

I am also taking “Anthropology 101.” This course suits me well because I am able to learn about cultural practices around the world while debating what “culture” actually means. Looking at the world through another’s viewpoint is fascinating, and when one’s own beliefs are challenged, thrilling.

“Women’s and Gender History in Africa” is my final course. It’s a cross-cultural, gender-concentration, and a history course. The combination of these areas of study poses a unique challenge and opportunity.

Have a wonderful week!

Ali

Ali Olson '17