Halloween y Día de los Muertos

November 2nd, 2014 akolso17

Hello Everyone!

Last weekend was “Family Weekend” on the hill. There were A Capella concerts, dance recitals, inflatables, kettle corn, and many other fun events for Holy Cross students and their families.

Harold and Stan

Harold and Stan

On Friday night my roommate and I painted pumpkins for our room. (Aren’t Harold and Stan cute?) Afterwards my boyfriend and I dressed in smart attire and played poker at “HC’s Family Weekend Casino Night.” (He did well. I did not. I cannot bluff to save my life!)

On Saturday the 25th, I was able to volunteer for Holy Cross’ annual “Trick or Treat” and “Haunted House.” For Trick or Treat my floor handed out candy to the children of the Holy Cross community. From Elsas and Batmans to Astronauts and Lady Bugs, there were some darling costumes! Later that night, at the Haunted House, I was assigned to the “Bed Scene.” Two volunteers sat on top of a bed and were pulled off and “eaten” by a guy in a bloody hockey mask. When people thought the scene was done and went to  leave the room, I would hop out from under the bed with a clown mask. I was able to get quite a few screams and a couple of times people began to run out of the room straight into the arms of the cannibals. Good luck finding safety there! I lost my voice from yelling, but it was a really fun night and we had a great turnout.

For Halloween I went with some friends to Blackstone to see “Saw” and “Dawn of the Dead.” I’m terrible with horror movies but I enjoyed these two. (Not going to lie, I did have a nightmare that night though!) Afterwards my friends and I spent several hours talking in my room. Life is so busy on the hill it’s nice to take some time to relax and catch up with friends.

Tonight the Latin American Student Organization (LASO) at Holy Cross organized a celebration for Día de los Muertos after the 7 pm Mass. There were little fake skulls to paint, hot chocolate, and pan dulce (a sweet bread). It was an awesome treat and I’m glad LASO shared this Mexican tradition with the Holy Cross community.

Well, after a spooky couple of weeks I would like to say that the “scary” stuff is done, but I have my study abroad application and two essays due this week. Yikes! Now that is frightening!

I hope you had a fun and safe Halloween, and that you have a wonderful week!

Ali

Ali Olson '17